Telematics technology helps future-proof business operations by helping companies achieve specific objectives, often times set by top-level management. Many benefits are offered by telematics, beyond vehicle location information. Managers are able to understand fleet performance for fuel efficiency tracking, fault code information for optimal fleet health, and to isolate specific driver behaviors for better safety management.
While an array of benefits exist for managers to choose from, the real clincher lies within the ability for organizations to connect their strategic company goals with telematics technology. In transportation, today’s managers aim to ensure timely delivery in combination with driver safety, cost reduction, and environmentally friendly initiatives than span across the entire organization.
Organizations can access critical data such as GPS position, vehicle movement from an accelerometer, and engine data from the vehicle diagnostics data bus from a telematics device connected to their vehicles. The data is then wirelessly transmitted back to the organizations management team and is transformed into valuable information, displayed in visual reports and graphs.
Telematics suppliers must take on more than just sales function roles – they must become consultants. In doing so, corporate-level strategies become aligned with fleet specific goals, helping customers achieve their set and evolving objectives. Together, a road map should be created that establishes all of the criteria a business is looking to accomplish.
When planning your road map, some questions to consider include:
- Is improving customer service by reducing estimated delivery times a strategic objective for your organization at this time?
- How do you currently optimize the routes your drivers take?
- How are you currently ensuring and tracking driver safety? What are some of your on-road policies and objectives?
- Are you looking to lower your fuel consumption?
- Is reducing mileage important to your organization?
- What are your 3 largest fleet related expenses or concerns?
If you have any questions, please contact Geotab…we would love to hear from you!