The concept is simple: the greater your fuel consumption, the greater your emissions will be.
The ways employees drive their vehicles can either increase or decrease fuel economy and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Fleets serious about becoming more sustainable must strive to modify their driver’s on-road behaviour as an ongoing, interactive process. Here is a list of the top ways you can green your fleet:
- Avoid aggressive driving by accelerating gently and maintaining a steady speed
- Avoid idling your vehicle
- Reduce additional mileage by optimizing your routes and minimizing your number of stops
- Keep tires inflated to correct the pressure
- Eliminate any unnecessary extra weight inside the vehicle
- Do not purchase premium fuel, unless it is necessary and specified in your owner’s manual
- Avoid using the A/C whenever it is not needed
- Ensure your vehicle maintenance schedule is top of mind year-round
- Carpool whenever it is possible and appropriate
- Drive according to the speed limit
- Keep your windows rolled up to make your vehicle more aerodynamic
- Anticipate traffic, and keep in mind that extensive brake use increases gasoline consumption
Through effective implementation, you will be more likely to not only improve your fuel economy, but also decrease GHG emissions and boost on-road safety. Contact Geotab to find out how telematics can help you achieve your sustainability goals, or click here to learn about how Geotab’s customers have become more green.