Installation Tools and Troubleshooting
Installation Tools & Troubleshooting
Research has shown that having to return to an installation for any reason costs everyone. If an install is done right the first time, profitability is maximized. We offer two tools to ensure a successful first time install:
- install.geotab.com: this website is accessible through any smartphone or Internet-ready PC. It allows the installer to check the installation and add additional information and comments about the vehicle or the install.
- Install Monitor: simply send an email containing one or more G#’s to email@example.com. As the Geotab server records valid data from each of the device(s) entered, it sends a return email to the sender and anyone who was copied in the original email confirming the installation was successful.
Either approach can be used depending on how much detail needs to be recorded.
It is always necessary to confirm the installation using one or both tools.
How to Use the Email Install Monitor
This tool is used to activate automated monitoring and email confirmation of the days installations.
- Simply compose an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the Cc field to copy anyone who needs to receive the device report.
- All valid addresses will be included in the replies.
- Enter the installing company name in the subject line.
- Next add the serial number(s) (one per line only) for any devices you wish to monitor.
- Remember to enter only one device number on each line.
- The use of dashes in the number has no effect on results.
- A valid Geotab GO serial number starts with a G and is 12 characters not including the dashes.
- Any text after the serial number will be added to the comments for that device install and logged to the install site. You must leave a single space after each serial number before entering the text.
- Send the email.
- You will receive a confirmation email containing any VALID serial numbers entered about 5 minutes after sending the email. For the next six hours, the Install Monitor will monitor the Geotab database for each device listed, waiting for each to report in.
- As each device is verified, an email is returned to the sender and anyone who was in the Cc field of the original email.
- When you receive a successful response, an install record is created and stored in the database with the results.
- Your email address is used as the installer name and the name you placed in the subject line is the installing company name NOT the customer name.
- Should a successful report not occur within 6 hours, an email will be returned for each device that failed to communicate with the word “BAD” in the subject line after the G#.
- For additional HELP, you can compose an email to email@example.com. Type the word “help” into the subject line and send the email. A few minutes later you will receive an email explaining how to use the system.
How to Use the Install Web Tool
This tool is used to confirm a proper installation and log key information.
Using your web browser, navigate to install.geotab.com and fill in the following fields:
GPS latch and engine data within the last 12 minutes.
Device has no GPS or Engine data but the SIM is active.
Troubleshooting LED Flashes & Diagnostic Sounds
Upon installation, the device will go through a several beeping sequences while going through the connection phases. Below are the beeps and LED flashes in order of when you should hear/see them and what to do if they don’t happen.
Audio & Visual Confirmation
1 short beep
Confirm correct harness is installed.
1 long beep
Blue LED flashes
Ensure vehicle is outside with a clear view of the sky.
Cellular Latch 1
2 short beeps
Ensure there is cell coverage.
Cellular Latch 2
3 short beeps